2020 is an absolute weirdo.
Quarantined in our homes and social distancing, many of us are turning to baking as a way to pass the time.
On a whim last night, I decided to use the last of my Crown Royal Vanilla to make a pound cake. I wanted to pair that vanilla with some brown sugar so I worked up my own recipe. Here it is:
Crown Royal Vanilla Pound Cake with Icing
3 cups of sifted cake flour 2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of brown sugar 1 cup of softened unsalted butter
1/2 cup of butter flavored shortening 5 large eggs
1 cup of milk 1/2 cup of Crown Royal Vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract 1 teaspoon of baking powder
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 325º F.
2. Prepare baking pan and set aside.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in bowl and set aside.
4. Combine milk, Crown Royal Vanilla and vanilla extract in a measuring cup and set aside.
5. Cream butter, shortening and sugars together.
6. On the lowest speed, alternate adding the dry ingredients and eggs until incorporated.
7. Add liquid ingredients and mix well until fully incorporated.
8. Pour cake batter in prepared dish.
9. Bake for 1 hr and 10 minutes or until inserted cake tester comes out clean.
10. When done, remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes.
11. Remove from pan and place on a wire rack or plate to complete cooling.
2 cups of sifted confectioners sugar 3 tablespoons of Crown Royal Vanilla**
2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
2. Pour glaze onto a completely cooled cake.
**You can add additional Crown Royal but, for 2 cups of sugar, I wouldn’t use more than 4 tablespoons.**